CITIES AND MAYORS LEADING THE NEW CLIMATE ECONOMY
– THE NORDIC ROAD TO PARIS AND BEYOND
Sunday 28th of June
Venue: Wisby Strand Kongress, Strandvägen 4, Visby
12:00 Buffet and mingling at Wisby Strand (Mayors, speakers, organizers and partners)
13:00 Success in Paris? How can cities contribute?
And is it a Nordic way to Paris and beyond?
Governments around the world have failed to lay the foundation for a global climate agreement. There are many doubts regarding the possible success of the Paris Summit in 2015.
A possible way to make progress, and take significant action where national governments have failed, is for the world’s cities, big and small, to take the lead in developing and implementing appropriate responses. Mayors and other municipal leaders have already begun to implement strong climate mitigation, adaptation, technology, finance policies and programmes, both individually and through coalition organisations like the C40 and ICLEI. And how can mayors and cities in the Nordics contribute. Is it a roadmap to Paris and beyond?
- Björn Jansson, Mayor of Gotland,
- Anders Wijkman, co-president Club of Rome
- Maria Wetterstrand, Climate Advisor and former Spokesperson for the Swedish Green Party
Facilitator: Johan Kuylenstierna, Executive Director, Stockholm Environment Institute, (SEI)
13.30 Low-carbon investments in cities – the way to build a sustainable future
Cities generate around 80% of global economic output, and around 70% of global energy use and energy-related GHG emissions. How cities develop will be critical to the future path of the global economy and climate – thus this is a great opportunity. What are the barriers to get the investments right?
- Jakob Granit, Director, SEI Stockholm
- Gury Melby, Dep Mayor of Oslo, Norway
- Sóley Tómasdottir, President of Council Reykjavik, Iceland
- Mats A Andersson, CEO, 4th Pension Fund, Sweden
- Tiina Kähö, Senior Lead, Sitra, Finland
Facilitator: Johan Kuylenstierna, Executive Director, SEI
14.30 How cities lead the way – successful cases on urban transformation
Cities are at the heart of sustainable development. Whereas cities account for a large share of global emissions, cities are also arenas for new ideas and technical solutions. What are the keys to success in urban transformation? Successful cases from various parts of the world.
- Niklas Nordström, Deputy Mayor of Luleå, Sweden
- Aleksi Randell, Mayor of Turku, Finland
- Nils Hillebrand, Deputy Mayor of Linköping, Sweden
- Bo Frank, Mayor of Växjö, Sweden
- Sandra Frank, Marketing Director, Folkhem
- Yvonne Borg, Director of Communications, E.ON
- Pernilla Bonde, CEO, HSB
Facilitator: Hanna Begler, Project Manager, Global Utmaning
15:30 Coffee break
16.00 Innovative Solutions for Sustainable Cities
Cities around the globe are taking sustainability to a whole new level, and developing inspiring solutions to many of our greatest urban challenges. The multitude and diversity of these ideas provide a smorgasbord of solutions from which cities can pick and choose based on their own local context.
- Morten Kabell, Technic and Environmental Mayor of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Patrick Burgi, Director, South Pole Group
- Svante Sjöstedt, Environment Analyst, Gothenburg City
- Jimmy Jansson, Mayor of Eskilstuna, Sweden
- Anders Teljebäck, Mayor of Västerås, Sweden
- Tuula Antola, Director of Economic and Business Development in Espoo, Finland
Facilitator: Barbara Evaeus, Senior Communications Manager, WWF Sweden
17.00 Innovation & Technology in Urban Sustainable Development
How can we use technology and innovation to create sustainable climate friendly cities? With a rapid increase in urbanization cities are playing a bigger role in the battle against climate change. Can local municipalities work as catalyst for urban sustainable development?
- James Hanusa, Director of Urban Innovation Exchange, San Francisco, USA
- Henrik Madsen, Professor, DTU Compute, Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science, Climate KIC – Nordic
- Jan Thörnqvist, Sales Director, Saab AB
- Tomas Häyry, Mayor of Vaasa, Finland
- Anne Kristine Linnestad, Mayor of Ski, Norway
Facilitator: Jens Olejak, Managing Director Sweden, South Pole group
17:45 Cities actions and Mayors leadership on the road to Paris – Summing up of the days talk
How can cities be leading in sustainable global development? The seminars focus on Cities and Mayors work to fight Climate Change. Cities deliver solutions on mitigation, adaptation, technology and finance. All key element in the international negotiation for Climate deal in Paris.
- Prof David Simon, FAcSS, Director, Mistra Urban Futures
- Ilmar Reepalu, former Mayor of Malmö, Sweden
- Runar Balsrud, Mayor of Hurdal, Norway
- AnnSofie Andersson, Mayor of Östersund, Sweden
- Mrs Banashri Bose Harrison, Ambassador of India to Sweden & Latvia
Facilitator: Johan Kuylenstierna, Executive Director, SEI /Alexander Crawford, Process Manager, Global Utmaning
Monday 29th of June
Venue: SIDA, Donnersgatan 6, Visby
08.00-10.00 Urban Goals and New Roles for City Leaders
SIDA and Mistra Urban Futures
In 2015, the UN will decide on a new set of global goals, building on the Millennium Goals. How can we contribute with a Urban Sustainable Development Goal, emphasising the significance and impact of cities’ policies and strategies for a sustainable future?
- Joachim Beijmo, Director of Communication, Sida.
- Helen Arfvidsson, Lead Researcher, Mistra Urban Future and University of Gothenburg
- Case studies from Gothenburg, Cape Town Based on the report from Mistra Urban Futures, Sida,
- Daniel Otieno Okutah, Assistant ,City Manager; Head of Education Directorat, Kisumu, Kenya
- Thore Vestby, Mayor of Frogn, Norway
Facilitator: Prof David Simon, FAcSS, Director, Mistra Urban Futures
Round Table discussions (Not public)
Venue: Gotlands Högskola
The round table discussions are exclusive for mayors and speakers. During this day the following topics will be discussed:
- The smart city – New technologies and Social Innovations
- Hackathons methods for networking and citizens participations
- Low-Carbon cities Lab” (LoCaL)
- Climate and jobs winners in a circular economy
- Impact investment – New finance solutions for cities?
19.45 Mayors dinner hosted by Region Gotland